At Vélo, this is a subject that we strongly care about. Because we care about our bodies. About your body. And being positive about your body is key if you want to take care of it in the best way. We know, this can be hard sometimes but we have come up with some tips to get you to come at peace with your body and…. Just live! Forget obsessing over your figure or weight and love your body at any stage it's in. Here’s some thoughts we like to live by:
1. __Be grateful__ for all the great things you can do with your body. We often take this for granted. Take a moment to consider the fact that our bodies heal when we are sick and that they recover from working really hard during our 45 minute workout. They continue to become stronger every time we face them with new challenges. Know that you are good enough and that your exterior is one of the least important parts of you. You are strong and can do so many amazing things with that body of yours.
2. __There is no such thing as ‘good’ or ‘bad’ food.__ As a child you ate when you were hungry and you probably didn’t think too much about it. Now we are flooded with information about calories and rules around food. Try to go back to the base and eat when you are hungry and listen to what your body needs. Eating cookies is not a crime and broccoli is not a saint. Try to stay away from rules and just consider food as food. What you eat and when varies on the basis of your mood, hunger and planning.
3. __You are good enough right now.__ Wanting to change your body shape is a waste of time. You only have one life! Why wait to feel amazing until you look a certain way? You don't have to find yourself fantastic every day, as long as you judge less and be kind to yourself. Tip: Buy clothes that fit and throw away those pants that you kept ‘for when you lose the 5 kilos.’
4. __Work out for a healthy body, not a skinny body.__ Being strong and fit is way cooler than being skinny. Read <a href="https://wearevelo.com/post/the-muscles-you-use-during-a-velo-ride" target="_blank">this</a> article to find out all the muscles your amazing body is working while doing a <a href="https://www.wearevelo.com/home" target="_blank">Vélo</a> class.
5. __Never. Diet. Again.__ Throw away your scale, cellulite cream and weight loss books, delete your calorie counter apps and promise yourself to never go on a diet again. Why? Because they just don’t work! We all know what healthy foods are, so try to incorporate those in your daily meals and don’t obsess over what the next best diet is.
6. __Let’s stand up for ourselves and each other!__ When someone comments about the way you look, stand up for yourself! And do the same for someone else. We know we do☺
We know that these are tips and for some people it just isn’t so easy to love your body. If you are struggling with food and feel you not help please contact an expert such as <a href="https://www.humanconcern.nl" target="_blank">www.humanconcern.nl</a> or <a href="https:https://www.novarum.nl/" target="_blank">www.novarum.nl</a>